This an update on to my blog " What Am I Gonna Wear, humph?????".

Well, it turns out that I didn't need but one formal semi-formal attire for this holiday season. The Christmas party for my job was a casual event, and we didn't go to the Christmas breakfast for my church, so I didn't  need attire for those events.  However, the big 50th birthday bash is what I had to focus on . That event took place last night; and, I was working on my dress up til the minute~ doing the last minute touches like hook and eye, and finishing up the hem. Whew!!!

But, I am so thrilled with my dress. My husband thought it wasn't flashy enough, but I made it do what it do, haha!!!!

I used the Kay Unger dress~ Vogue 1205. However, I made some changes to suit my taste. That's classic me, not to stick with the pattern. That's the designer in me, lol!!

Everything I needed for the dress I had here in my stash except for a black invisible zipper~ go figure.

The materials I used were a black,  moderate stretch poly- rayon fabric; a black burnout velvet for contrast and scarf; and, a rosy pink polyester lining~ I am one for using contrast linings. 

As for the changes that I made, I lengthened the dress to fall at my knees; I redesigned the back to be asymetrical like the front. I cut out the left upper back section and added a single 3/4" strap to hold the front together.

( I used the wrong side of the burnout velvet to bind the seam of the shoulder.)

The other change I made to the dress was to add a scarf that hangs a tad bit below the hem of the dress.

( Sorry that it's not a great picture.)

And, finally, I added a bit of sparkle to the front of the dress on the contrasting shoulder ( the burnout velvet side). 

To me,these changes give the dress a retro feel. Simple, but classy and elegant. It's the kind of dress that you can wear the elbow length gloves with. It reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor in her "Cat on the Hot Tin Roof" days. :)

Here's a sneak peak at the contrasting lining:

(Again, sorry for the poor quality picture.)

Of course, me being the perfectionist, there were several things that I saw that could be adjusted. First, I had to take the dress in twice to get the fit I wanted~ so now, I need to lower the armhole a tad bit to give me a little more room there. Also, on the beaded trim I added, I need to secure the ends down better. This was one of the last minute add-ons, literallly right beore walking out the door, I was adding this on. And, I see that I will need to add a hook and eye. Overall, I am very pleased with the results, and my hubby was too!!!!

Here are pictures of me in the dress:

My husband discovered, during the course of the evening, that I could drape my scarf around my shoulders for a totally different look. Of course, I was all the more pleased.

My next quick project is to make my husband a floor length hooded robe for a christmas present. He's been asking for a robe for years. :(

Until next time,

Happy Sewing!!

Tags: V1205, black, burnout, drape, kay unger, scarf, velvet

Views: 339

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful, I love your dress. It's beautiful on you!

Thnx, Omega!! How are you?

WOW...really this dress is gorgeous and I love it. The scarf detail is a perfect addition.

You look beautiful. You both look very elegant  :)

Ann,

I'm just now seeing this msg. for some reason,but thanks so much for the lovely compliment!!

Your dress is gorgeous.  Looks so elegant.  The scarf was a brilliant idea.
Thanks!!

RSS

Hottest Content! 

Events

Badge

Loading…

FACEBOOK LINK

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Members

Forum

SBCC patterns

Started by Nancy B. in Sample Title Oct 10, 2013. 0 Replies

My Pink Stuff

Started by Nancy B. in Sample Title. Last reply by Alethia Oct 8, 2013. 2 Replies

For those of you who sew for a living....

Started by Serenity L Sincere Peace Earth in Sample Title. Last reply by Serenity L Sincere Peace Earth Aug 21, 2013. 3 Replies

© 2014   Created by Alethia.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

<