SEW * CRAFT * DESIGN * INSPIRE * LEARN
IMPORTANT UPDATE TO THIS SITE!!!
Due to changes and restructuring, I have eliminated all of the "GROUPS" due to lack of participation. I want this network to be most appealing and easy to navigate. So, please be patient as things are getting moved around a bit.
IF THERE IS A GROUP THAT YOU FEEL I SHOULD KEEP PLEASE INBOX ME AND I WILL DEFINITELY CONSIDER IT.
Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.- George Bernard Shaw
OMG, where do I start with this post?!?!!
Let me give you the end results and go from there...
This is my Frankenpattern suit, as I like to call it. This 4 pc. attire is made from four, yes, four different patterns. The zipper front jacket is made from the majority of M6441. The sleeves and cuffs are from M5860. The skirt is made from New Look 6230, with modifications. The blouse was Pinterest inspired and created using M6519. And, lastly, the tie was self-made simply by cutting two widths of my fabric (58") and 12" wide.
minute gotta-have situation. Albeit, this was a needed outfit, I started early making it and I took my time. And, the results were very satisfying.
I originally posted on IG that I was making M5860 and NL6230. However, as I lay my pieces out, I realized that it was not enough to cut both my jacket and the skirt. I new I wanted the skirt for sure, as I had used some of this fabric already to make this jacket...
This is the jacket that my sewing buddies,here, helped me decide to create. Read more about that here..."Somebody is Gonna Help Me Make a Decision".
Come to think of it, I used this fabric one other time...it's been fairly used. Take a look at this outfit...
I finished this outfit this past November. It was View C and View E from New Look 6130. I decided that I wanted sleeves with exposed zippers, so I used the sleeves from the M6611 above. Can't say I don't use my fabric and patterns, lol!
Anyway, back to the topic. Outside of mixing up the pattern pieces to create this suit, the only other modifications were to omit the
lining for the jacket. And, instead of a zipper on the skirt, I preferred my zipper to be an exposed zipper in the back. I am very pleased with the outcome.
I will share some pictures about this later here, but I was asked to do a pictorial of how I did my waistband for my faux leather jeans. So, I figured I would show the same technique as I created my cuffs for this jacket.
This fabric is a denim twill (is there such a thing?). It's medium weight with a little stretch to it. I have enjoy working with it.
There were some adjustments/alterations that I had to make. The sleeves on M5860 run really big. It wasn't planned this way, but both patterns for the jacket are Palmer/Pletsch designs. I took the sleeves in about 1/2" to 1" seam allowance starting from under the arm to the wrist. Because I am smaller up top and hippy, I cut a size 12 through the shoulders and a 14 at the sides on the jacket. I even added about 3/8" at the hip. This was perfect. Getting back to the sleeves, I added pleats on my sleeves, which gave me the right amount of fullness I wanted for my sleeve.
I do want to mention here that I did a mock split here, instead of leaving the split open. I cut a 16 in this skirt ( in retail I would purchase a 10 or 12). This skirt runs big as well. I had to take an additional 5/8" seam through the hip area, an additional 1" at the waist ...both sides. I, also, had to take the darts in an additional 3/8", and lastly I took the back seam in about an additional 1/2" seam at the waist. Keep in mind that this pattern calls for a stretchy material, and my fabric has stretch to it. I turned the hem up 1" with a blind hem stitch.
Why a blue zipper, you ask? Well, to be honest, I can be a bit impatient. I wanted to finish my jacket and skirt, we were snowed in on hi alert here in Georgia...we don't get much snow....so, I was not going out to buy a zipper. So, I asked myself..."Self, what would Tim Gunn say? He would say, "Make it work"! Which is what I did!!
Now the other dilemma with the zipper is that it was too long, ugggh!! What is it with me and these zippers lately! So, I started pulling teeth....
I got the zipper in and as a final touch, I topstitched the neckline.
As I mentioned earlier, I was inspired by a Pinterest post to create my top...
As you can see, I created the top from M6519. I created my own bias hem tape from a solid black chiffon. I cut 2" wide strips a little longer than the lengths I needed. I folded and pressed them in half, then stitched the normal 5/8" seam allowance to get the perfect finish.
This outfit is so versatile! I've always planned to do a bow blouse at some point in my life, so why not now. Accept, I wanted to have other options with my tie, so I created it separately.
I simply made the tie by cutting it like I mentioned above. Then, I cut two ends at an angle to have pointed ends. I joined the remaining flat ends together too create the center back seam. I folded the tie in half length wise, thereby leaving me one side to stitch up along with the ends.
I will definitely make more of these blouses!
Her is my pictorial of how I placed the cuffs, which is the same technique that I used for the waistband.
NOTE: CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR DETAILS.