SEW * CRAFT * DESIGN * INSPIRE * LEARN
I'm so excited to post that I was able to actually make 3 wearable garments for ME! YAAAAY!!!
I had a "little" motivation...hee-hee! I had a two day women's conference to attend featuring our very own Pastor's wife, Dr. Bernita Mitchell on Thursday night, and the renowned Sheryl Brady from The Potter's House of North Dallas Texas. We had an amazing time! That's a whole other story!!
But, I wanted to wear something I haven't worn before. I'm trying to break this habit, but I'm usually sewing for myself the night before, or the day of the event. This color-blocked dress made using M6278 was made of stretch knit, not the required woven fabrics. I eliminated the zipper and lengthened it just at the calf. I wore it with black striped tights and black 4" black booties!
This second dress I made on Friday morning. I LOVE this dress! I used M6400, actually a top pattern, but I lengthened it to right above the calf, below the knee. The only thing is, once I tried it on, it was not appropriate for church. It's more clingy than I would like it to be for church. I would not have felt comfortable at all. I have to save that for date night with the Mister!
So, I had a "ram in the bush", LOL! I had a UFO that was waiting to be finished. It was this lightweight printed denim. This peplum top and skirt was made using view C and E from NL6130. It fit perfect. I only need to finish the armholes, hem the top, hem the skirt, and add the waistband onto the skirt. I decided to add long sleeves, so I used the sleeves from a pattern I used before, M6611. I like the way the sleeves fit on that jacket...see first jacket HERE. I,also, added 7" exposed zippers to the sleeves. I LOVE this outfit!!
Now, I can blame the reason for my last minute decisions solely on my projects earlier in the week, but they were contributing factors. But, on the other hand I've known about this conference since nearly the beginning of the year...yeah. @~@ Anyhow, I got me three new outfits out of the deal, yaay me!!
I did mention activity earlier in the week, which was coming up with part of the decorations for this conference. First Lady, as some call her, requested that four metal mannequins be decorated in Fall colors. She actually asked my mother, and my mother enlisted my help.
We spent three days deciding what we were gonna do with these dress forms, then did a trial draping to see what they would look like. Between my mother and myself, we had the fabric and some of the trim, we purchased the florals and added jewelry. And, this is what we came up with:
The dresses were a hit. As a matter of fact, many thought they were actual dresses. They didn't know that they were draped. ;) I had people inquiring about buying them. The favorite were the first one, the brown taffeta dress, and the last one, the orange dress.
Last week was busy and very fruitful. This week is just as busy. I have two vintage dresses to complete for a fitting, christening ensemble- gown, bonnet, panties,and booties that I'm creating from the mother's wedding gown. Then, reconstructing the wedding gown for the mother to wear again as an anniversary dress. Then, there's more Lydia Project totes to do.
I hope you all have a great week,